2020 Plant Health Forecast
- Cold & Wet Spring, created ideal conditions for fungi in the summer months – Mainly Anthracnose & Fire Blight
- Lots of defoliating pests last summer – Aphids, Japanese Beetle, Fall Webworm, Caterpillars
Predictions for this Spring/Summer
- Predicting a wet and cold March
- April and May are predicted to be warmer and rainier than normal
- Summer is supposed to also be hotter and rainier than normal, so high humidity levels are expected.
This will create the perfect conditions for fungus and insects to thrive!
New Pests & Diseases to Watch For
- Oak wilt – causes the rapid decline and death of mature oak trees
- Box tree moth – Can strip ALL foliage from your boxwood in 1 day
Proactive Steps to Take
- Make sure your tree has the tools it needs to bounce back from fungal and defoliator stress with Cohen & Master’s ArborGain™ treatments
- Get your pest treatments planned early – if you had caterpillars or aphids last year, have your arborist out in early spring to do an inspection of your trees
- Make sure your soils are draining properly to accommodate increased precipitation – have your soils renovated with our air spade tool and ask your arborist about soil aeration tubes to improve drainage around your tree’s roots