BioChar is a carbonized biomass (like wood chips). The transformation is achieved through a process of restricted oxygen, controlled temperatures and high pressure.
BioChar is a great tool for fixing depleted and compacted urban soils.
Benefits to Soil:
- Increases water and nutrient retention
- Improves soil fertility
- Moderates soil acidity
- Increased number of beneficial soil microbes
- Decreased nutrient runoff
- Increased disease-resistance
Benefits to the Environment
- Sequesters carbon for hundreds to thousands of years, preventing it from being released into the atmosphere
- Because biochar enhanced soils hold carbon for such long periods of time, they create a carbon-negative environment – resulting in a net reduction of carbon dioxide
- Produces oil and gas byproducts that can be used as a clean, renewable energy source
- Helps limit the emission of greenhouse gasses (nitrous oxide and methane) from agricultural soils
Happy soil means happy roots. Happy roots mean happy trees. And happy trees mean a happy planet!
Be Good To Your Trees.
Kristie Nairn, MA, MMst
Cohen & Master Tree and Shrub Services Ltd