This monument on UofT campus is over 145 years old. It was unveiled in 1870 to commemorate the volunteer militia that fought against the Fenian invasion at the Battle of Lime Ridge (a.k.a the Battle of Ridgeway) in 1866. This monument honours 9 volunteers from the Queens Own Rifles, including 3 Univeristy of Toronto students, who fell in battle. It is located on the west side of Queen’s Park Cres.
We were lucky enough to spend a few days maintaining the trees that surround this beautiful and somber piece of local history.